The remains of some of New York’s loveliest buildings can sometimes be found in the most unlikely places.
Take this carved stone head of a goddess. For decades, it’s sat outside the parlor floor window (between the garbage cans and coal hole cover) of the 1883 brownstone at 52 East 80th Street.
The theater, financed by William Randolph Hearst, opened to great fanfare; Florenz Ziegfeld’s renowned Follies were staged there.
But within six short years, it became a second-run movie house. By 1966, it met the wrecking ball.
Yet the goddess head survived the demolition—and it ended up on East 80th Street (below, with the copper bay window) because the owner of the home, a theater producer named Jerry Hammer, asked the right…
View original post 121 more words